xu4 - Ultima IV Recreated
Since xu4 is a work in progress, we've received a lot of questions about how to run xu4, its
progress, and where we're headed with the project. With enough people asking the same questions
again and again, we found it prudent to create a Frequently Asked Questions section of
the web site to answer many of the more important questions about xu4.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What do I need to play xu4?
- A: You need xu4 itself, and the original Ultima IV game files. You can find these on the download page.
- Q: When I start xu4, I get an error saying, "unable to load data files: is Ultima IV installed? See http://xu4.sourceforge.net/"
- A: Make sure you have the original Ultima IV game files in the same directory as xu4. xu4 requires the following:
- A directory named "ultima4" which contains the original game files or
A zip file in the same directory as xu4.
- The zip file must be named "ultima4.zip" or "ultima4-1.01.zip"
- If using the upgrade package, it must either be installed in the "ultima4" directory
with the original game files, or it must be in a zip file named "u4upgrad.zip".
- Q: Where can I report bugs in the game?
- A: You can report them here on the SourceForge project page.
You can also mention them in the forum if you'd like.
- Q: What (if anything) do you guys plan to work on after the 1.0 release?
- A: Well, we're still figuring out the exact details, but mainly we're trying to make xu4 a game engine that will ultimately run Ultima 1 through 4 and possibly Ultima 5 as well. In this process, we're extrapolating different commonalities between the games into our engine.
- combat styles
That's the direction we're headed at least.
- Q: How can I change or reset my settings? Where is my savegame stored?
- A:You can reset your settings to the defaults by removing the settings file. Both the settings and the 'party.sav' savegame file are stored where applications typically store user specific data. The exact location depends on what operating system you are running.
- Windows: Usually in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\xu4\. The settings file is named xu4.cfg and the savegame is party.sav.
- Linux: ~/.xu4/. The settings file is named xu4rc and savegame is party.sav.
- MacOS X: ~/Library/Application Support/xu4. The settings file is named xu4rc and the savegame is party.sav.