xu4 - Ultima IV Recreated
XU4 is a remake of the computer game Ultima IV. The goal is to make it easy and convenient to play this classic on modern operating systems. XU4 is primarily inspired by the much more ambitious project Exult. XU4 is a cross-platform application thanks to SDL; it's available for Windows, MacOS X, Linux and more.
This project is currently under development and beta releases are available. The game is fully playable from beginning to end. The very latest source code can always be accessed from SVN. Please post a message in our discussion forum if you are interested in helping.
A secondary goal of this project is to clearly document the formats of the data files from the original Ultima IV. This work in progress is available here: FileFormats.txt
Please see the README file for information on compiling, installing and running xu4.
The original Ultima IV is freeware. Download it here!
- 01/Sep/2011 - Since June 2011 EA hosts the official Ultima 4 download on UltimaForever and as of today Good Old Games offers it for free as well.
- 23/Dec/2010 - A new bulletin board / forum has been created for xu4. We hope the community comes back (and the spammers do not).
- 02/Oct/2005 - The long-awaited third beta is out: see the forum for the details. Download it here.
- 06/Jan/2005 - A second beta is now available, which fixes a few bugs from the first. Get it here.
- 30/Nov/2004 - The first beta of xu4 1.0 of is now available.
- 20/Jul/2004 - A FAQ section is now available on the web site. Let us know if there are any other questions that should listed.
- 24/Feb/2004 - Version 0.9 of xu4 is now out. This version is more complete and stable than ever. Ultima IV is now fully playable from beginning to end.
- 27/Oct/2003 - A new release of xu4 is out: Download it here.
- 15/Oct/2003 - xu4 has a new discussion forum based on Phorum. If you have any questions or comments on Ultima IV or xu4, the xu4 users and developers would like to hear from you.
- 10/Oct/2003 - A new version of Ultima IV for DOS with some minor bugfixes is now available for download. This update fixes some conversation bugs that caused certain pieces of dialogue to be unreachable.
- 29/Jul/2003 - xu4 0.7 has been released. Please download it, give it a try, and let us know how it works!
- 04/Jun/2003 - xu4 has been ported to the Linux-based Sharp Zaurus handheld.
- 07/May/2003 - A Mac OSX build of 0.6 is now available.
- 07/Apr/2003 - Version 0.6 is out. This time with lots of vendor and combat fixes; xu4 is getting awfully close to being playable!
- 09/Mar/2003 - A MacOS X build is now available here! Please report any problems you have; hopefully we'll be able to offer MacOS X releases soon. Also check out the MacOS X screenshot.
- 04/Mar/2003 - xu4 has been ported to the Sega Dreamcast! And in other news, the xu4 website received over 10,000 hits last month, our best month yet.
- 17/Feb/2003 - Version 0.5 has just been released. I've bumped up the version number to 0.5 since my guess is the game is about half done. Check out this release's mostly working combat!
- 17/Jan/2003 - Nightly builds for Windows are available from the download page. These builds aren't tested, but are the best way to try out new features in between releases. As always, bug reports are welcome.
- 12/Dec/2002 - Version 0.09 is out. This release has the very beginnings of combat, food vendors, and fixes lots of bugs.
- 17/Nov/2002 - Marc Winterrowd has contributed a tutorial on how to compile the latest CVS source under Windows.
- 08/Oct/2002 - Version 0.08 is out -- new features include poison, death and meditation. Progress is being made with spells, too; Awaken, Cure, Dispel, Heal, and Resurrect all work.
- 25/Sep/2002 - Ultima IV for DOS is now mirrored here. Origin generously allows Ultima IV to be freely distributed, and it is required to run xu4.
- 18/Aug/2002 - Version 0.07 has been released. Please submit bug reports for problems you would like to see fixed.
- 29/Jul/2002 - Claus Windeler writes that BeOS binaries for xu4 are available at http://www.beemulated.net.
- 24/Jul/2002 - xu4 0.06 has been released, and new screenshots have been posted. New with this version: walls can no longer be seen through and the moongates work.
- 16/Jul/2002 - Added a links page. The CVS code now has support for ships, horses, and balloons.
- 07/Jun/2002 - Version 0.05 is finally out. This release has MIDI background music, the animations on the intro screen, and some very preliminary armor/weapons vendor support. Download it here.
- 15/May/2002 - xu4 version 0.04 has been released. The introduction story and character creation is the primary new feature in this version. See the screenshots and try it out
- 24/Apr/2002 - xu4 version 0.03 has been released. As usual, source, binaries for Windows, and binaries for i386 Linux are available. There are lots of improvements in this version, including support for the graphics upgrade patch. Check out the new screenshots, download it here
- 16/Apr/2002 - Version 0.02 is out. In addition to source, binaries for Windows and (i386) Linux are available. Download it here
- 12/Apr/2002 - Screenshots!
- 09/Apr/2002 - A Windows port is now is available.
- 08/Apr/2002 - The very first alpha release is out! Download it here; feedback is welcome!